The Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA)
On 3 September 1956, 27 architects gathered and formed The Hong Kong Society of Architects. As its membership increased, the society was recognition by the Royal Institute of British Architects as an Allied Society. The change of name from “society” to “institute” was effected in 1972 and initiated a new phase of activities for the HKIA. In 1990, the Hong Kong Institute of Architects Incorporation Ordinance (Chapter 1147) was enacted, which has governed the running of the institute since then.
Today the Hong Kong Institute of Architects has more than 4,500 members and more than 190 architecture firms as corporate members. In addition to the Hong Kong office, the institute has also operated a representative office in Beijing since 2006.
The institute’s main objectives are
‐ to promote the general advancement of architecture and to promote and facilitate the acquisition of the knowledge of the various arts and sciences concerned herewith;
‐ to raise the standard of architecture in Hong Kong and the standard of professional architectural services offered by members of the institute.